In 1917, the South Willis Coal Co. abandoned the Wellington mine but opened three new mines near the South Prairie Creek on the No. 7, 8, and 10 seams. Production from all South Willis Coal Co.’s operation totaled 74,000 tons with 18,000 tons coming from the Wellington mine; 40,000 tons from the No.’s 7, 8 and 10 mine; and 16,000 tons produced by the Champion mine. The Wellington mine and the No. 7, 8, and 10 mines were in Spiketon / Morristown and the Champion was located in nearby Wilkeson. Employment at the three mines totaled 133 men with miners earning $ per day and coal being sold for $3 to $4 per ton.