Many years ago there was a product available that worked very well to relieve the effects of poison ivy rash. It was even issued to linemen working for the telephone company. It’s name was AntIvy, and one of the active ingredients was a zirconium compound. It also had an antihistamine in the mix. I see that it was discontinued because apparently in some cases it was reported to have caused some sort of skin irritation. Poison ivy rash IS a skin irritation. Anyway, I obtained some zirconium oxide and made up my own poison ivy lotion and for me, at least, it works. It isn’t an instant remedy but it helps quite a bit. AntIvy lotion worked for many other people too. I do not understand just why your advice specifically warns against it.